Lessons learned from visiting with people living as refugees in camps:
- Grief and gratitude go hand in hand. In equal measure. Every step of the way.
- Extreme hardship does not destroy generosity or eliminate hospitality. People with very little, share readily.
- The human spirit is not extinguishable by the loss of things or home or even country.
- Being written off as useless or worthless breeds either rage or despair. Both are dangerous and expensive.
- A small amount of help – giving exactly what’s needed in the moment – is remembered forever.